SecuriTea & Cookies
SecuriTea & Cookies is an occasional opportunity for a free and frank look our digital rights and personal data trails over a tea and snacks.
If you have questions about practical steps you can take to safeguard your confidential data & private communications or want to know what your rights are in the digital domain; this is a space where we can learn from each other. Discussion is often followed by opportunity to get hands-on together with a small group action such as getting away from default settings for browser cookies or opting out of data collection together, and then practical help with privacy friendly tools. BYO device if you want help checking your settings or using new tools. Suitable for beginners and tech-heads alike. Events will be posted in the calendar as they are scheduled. Resources from the sessions will eventually make their way here to the wiki. You may wish to check dates on resources from previous events, so you know how old the information is when making your own privacy and security choices!
Discussion topics and resources
Digital rights and privacy in Australia
Opting out of MyHealth record
- 'What is My Health Record? – video explainer', https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2018/jul/16/what-is-my-health-record-video-explainer
- My Health Record official website: https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/
- 'E-Health Cyber-DOOOOOOM.', https://medium.com/@Asher_Wolf/e-health-cyber-doooooom-38e2df65e739
- 'My Health Record: the case for opting in', https://theconversation.com/my-health-record-the-case-for-opting-in-99850
- "As the former chief technology architect of the Health and Human Services Access Card, I opted out of My Health Record on day one. Here’s why.", https://www.cio.com.au/article/645498/why-my-health-record-flawed/
Some recent relevant news:
- 'Melbourne student health records posted online in 'appalling' privacy breach', https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/22/melbourne-student-health-records-posted-online-in-appalling-privacy-breach
- 'The Medicare machine: patient details of 'any Australian' for sale on darknet', https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/04/the-medicare-machine-patient-details-of-any-australian-for-sale-on-darknet
- 'Metadata fiasco shows need for parliamentary inquiry', https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/apr/30/metadata-fiasco-shows-need-for-parliamentary-inquiry